The first Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910, in the state of Washington, Father’s Day is celebrating its 112th anniversary this year on June 19th,
The campaign to celebrate the nation’s fathers did not meet with the same enthusiasm–perhaps because, as one florist explained, “fathers haven’t the same sentimental appeal that mothers have.”
History of father’s Day
Father’s day began when a young woman wanted to honor her dad. In May of 1909, Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Wash., sat in church listening to a Mother’s Day sermon. She decided she wanted to designate a day for her dad , William Jackson Smart. Dodd’s mother had died in childbirth, and Dodd’s father, a Civil War veteran, had taken the responsibility of singlehandedly raising the newborn and his other five children.
Father’s Day Quotes
- There’s nothing more contagious than the dignity of a father – Amit Ray World Peace
- One of the greatest gifts my father gave me – unintentionally – was witnessing the courage with which he bore adversity. We had a bit of a rollercoaster life with some really challenging financial periods. He was always unshaken, completely tranquil, the same ebullient, laughing, jovial man.- Ben Okri
- A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.- Billy Graham
- My dad’s my best mate, and he always will be. – Cher Lloyd
- He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. – Clarence Budington Kelland
- Father of fathers, make me one, A fit example for a son. – Douglas Malloch
- Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice. – Charles Kettering
- An almost perfect relationship with his father was the earthly root of all his wisdom. – C.S. Lewis, Phantastes
- You know, fathers just have a way of putting everything together. – Erika Cosby
- A father is the one friend upon whom we can always rely. – Emile Gaboriau
- Noble fathers have noble children. – Euripides
- Fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man. – Frank Pittman
- One father is more than a hundred Schoolmasters. – George Herbert
- Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end. – George Straight
- A daughter needs a dad to be the standard against which she will judge all men. – Gregory E. Lang
- Life doesn’t come with an instruction book; that’s why we have fathers. – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, ‘You’re tearing up the grass.’ ‘We’re not raising grass,’ Dad would reply. ‘We’re raising boys.’ – Harmon Killebrew
- I am not ashamed to say that no man I ever met was my father’s equal, and I never loved any other man as much. – Hedy Lamarr
- No man stands taller than when he stoops to help a child. – Abraham Lincoln
- My father always said there are four things a child needs: plenty of love, nourishing food, regular sleep, and lots of soap and water. After that, what he needs most is some intelligent neglect. – Ivy Baker Priest
Funny Messages for Father
Humor is the way to many a father’s heart. So if your card is for your father who enjoys a good laugh, feel free to joke around in what you write to him.
- Happy Father’s Day. Hope the beers are chilling and the grill is sizzling!
- Happy ‘Golf to Your Heart’s Content’ Day!
- Sending you a heartfelt appreciation for Father’s Day. It’s the least I can do considering all the gray hairs I’ve caused you.
- Thanks for teaching me all the best things I know…plus some other good stuff that I probably should have paid more attention to.
- I hope all your wildest Father’s Day wishes come true—maybe even the one about staying awake through the whole afternoon of baseball on TV!
- Today is all about you, Dad! Enjoy, because tomorrow it’s back to the rest of us.
- I hope you get to waste some time in your favorite ways on Father’s Day. You deserve it!
- Sending lots of love to the dad who did his best to keep me out of trouble…from the daughter who sure did have a knack for finding it!
- Thanks for all you’ve done for me, Dad. Obviously, I could never repay you, but I’ll happily chip in for pizza in your honor on Father’s Day or any day!
Missing Dad Quotes
When your dad is far away, you miss him dearly. Let him know he’s in your thoughts and you want to keep the family together with these quotes:
- No matter wherever I go, my heart is calm, knowing I can always call you, Dad. The sound of your voice makes anywhere feel at home.
- You taught me to ride a bike and drive a car, but the best part of traveling was coming home to you, Dad!
- Even when a father and child live miles apart, each is close to the other’s heart.
- Looking up at the stars and knowing we share the same world makes me feel close to you, Dad. I love living in your universe!
- Although we haven’t seen each other in a long time, know that you’re always in my heart and on my mind.
- Dad, no matter where I go, knowing you’re always waiting for me gives me peace of mind. I love that you taught me to travel!
- The journey I go on is one that my father paved before me. I wouldn’t be anywhere without him and miss him dearly.
- Thank you for teaching me to put one foot in front of the other, Dad. Without your guidance, I could never have taken the next step in my life.
- The distance between us is only as far as we make it, Dad. You are with me in spirit wherever I am.
- My favorite place to be is wherever you are, Dad. I miss you and can’t wait to see you again!
- We may be far apart right now, but we are as close as ever in our hearts. Dad, your love helps me through each day even when I am away.
Messages for Your Father
What makes your dad the best? Well, he’s your dad, for starters, and that all by itself is pretty special. That’s why there are certain Father’s Day cards and certain Father’s Day messages that only work for him.
- You’re the best, Dad. I love you!
- I’m so proud to be your kid.
- Dad, you’re in all my favorite memories.”
- Dad, you’re still the one I think of first when I have a question about something or when I just need some support and good advice. Thank you for always being there for me.
- Happy Father’s Day to the man who put the fear of Dad into all my dates.
- Happy Father’s Day to the man who wore my extra tiara at my tea parties and still treats me like a princess.
- You taught me so many of the important things I know—including a few choice words for certain situations.
- Thank you for being there every day with just the love and guidance I’ve needed.
- You’re my one and only dad, and I’ll always have a special place in my heart for you.
- God gave me such a good gift when he gave me you for a father.
- Dad, you’ve been constant support, love, and protection in my life. Plus, you’re my friend. Thank you.
- Dad, you’ve got my back. That keeps me stepping up to what challenges come in life. Love you so much for that.
- You and Mom are still my favorite folks to hang out with. I love that.
- I love that we can have a beer, wrestle with the meaning of life and talk about anything—including religion and politics.
- Dad, thanks for the love, the cutting up, the keeping it real, the always being there. Thanks for being just the man you are.