This day is to appreciate all nurses, their effort and dedication, particularly during the ongoing coronavirus epidemic. Nurses are essential in safeguarding public well-being. Let us know more about International Nurses Day, its subject, history, and how it is praised.
Nurses play a vital role in our medical organizations, such as giving protection or helping the patient in recovery. No doubt, when some patient needs attention, nurses work tirelessly to recognize and protect the person’s needs.
Nurses also have enormous knowledge and various skills in an organization for perfection and development. Most of the time, nurses work in challenging environments where severe stress is a part of their work.
International Nurses Day: History
In 1953, Dorothy Sutherland, an administrator with the U.S. Department of Health, welfare, and Education, reached President Dwight D. Eisenhower and suggested celebrating “Nurses Day”.
At that time, he did not accept her recommendation. Since 1965, the International Council of Nurses (ICN) has marked this day.
Every year, Indian council of nurses (ICN) makes and distributes the International Nurses Day Kit, which includes educational and public information materials that nurses can use among the citizens.
Let us inform you that National Nurses Week is celebrated from 6 May to 12 May, and is National Student Nurse’s Day on 8 May since 1998.
How is International Nurses Day celebrated?
In the U.S. and Canada, an entire week is dedicated to National Nursing Week. Even in Australia, also types of nursing ceremonies are hosted.
This entire week health care settings on the international level are targeted. Even, the American Nurses Association promotes and supports the celebration and work of the Nurses.
On International Nurses Day in the U.K., the people have been proposed to “shine a light” on 12 May, the 200th birthday of late Florence Nightingale.
The way nurses and other health operators are taking the coronavirus pandemic without thinking of their lives, hence this year, the day is unique. It is crucial to understand the efforts of nursing professionals across the globe.
Various activities are also hosted, like educational seminars, various community events, competitions, debates, discussions, etc. Also, nurses are honored and thanked by friends, doctors, officials, and patients by offering gifts, flowers, organizing dinners, etc.
International Nurses Day: Significance
In the entire world, we can’t overlook the fact that nursing is the most comprehensive healthcare professionals globally, and they are the critical factors in achieving Millennium Development Goals (MDG).
Various training modules are offered to the nurses to support the health and wellness of the patients.
No doubt, nurses have a deep understanding of giving the best health care services. Do you know that National Nurses Associations (NNAs) play an essential role in helping nurses, giving education, well-informed advice to offer their work correctly?
Also, NNA operates with governmental and non-governmental organizations to encourage health care systems.
International Nurses Day: Quotes
Here are some quotes for International Nurses day:
- “Nurses offer comfort, kindness, and caring without even a prescription.”– Val Saintsbury.
- “The most significant practical lesson that can be provided to nurses is to guide them what to observe.” -Florence Nightingale.
- “A nurse will always provide us strength, an angel with a stethoscope.” -Carrie Latet
- “The qualified nurse has become one of the excellent blessings of humanity, taking place alongside the physician and the priest.” -William Osler
- “Continuous attention by a good nurse may be just as significant as a big operation by a surgeon.” -Dag Hammarskjold, Diplomat
- Every nurse is an angel with a key for healthy community
- To the nurses who give so much of themselves to others every day.
- The dedication you show towards your job is marvelous and praiseworthy.
- Your tender care, love, and understanding has made a difference in the lives of so many. Hope you have the same. smiling day as you make for others.
- May all the care and kindness you give to others come back to warm your heart