WAD-World Asthma Day is organized by the GINA – Global Initiative for Asthma, a World Health Organization collaborative organization founded in 1993. WAD is celebrated on First Tuesday of may so this year it would be held on 4th May to raise awareness of Asthma worldwide.
What is Asthma
Asthma is a condition in which your airways become narrow and swell and may produce extra mucus. This can create breathing difficulties and trigger coughing, a whistling sound (wheezing) when you breathe out, and shortness of breath.
Importance of World Asthma Day
WHO recognizes that asthma is a major issue for public health, According to WHO, it was estimated that more than 339 million people had Asthma worldwide and there were 417,918 deaths due to asthma worldwide in 2016.
So it’s very important to remind people about this day and educate them about the facts about asthma and motivate them to progress for cleaner environments.
History of World Asthma Day
The first World Asthma Day was celebrated in 1998, in more than 35 countries in conjunction with the first World Asthma Meeting held in Barcelona, Spain. From that day Participation has increased every World Asthma Day, and the day has become one of the world’s most important asthma awareness and education events.
This Year World Asthma Day Theme
“Uncovering Asthma Misconceptions” is this year’s World Asthma Day theme.
The theme provides a call to action to address common widely spread myths and misconceptions concerning asthma that prevent persons with asthma from enjoying optimal benefit from the major advances in the management of this condition. Common misconceptions surrounding asthma include:
- Asthma is a childhood disease; individuals will grow out of it as they age.
- Asthma is infectious.
- Asthma sufferers should not exercise.
- Asthma is only controllable with high dose steroids.
The Truth is
- Asthma can occur at any age (in children, adolescents, adults and elderly)
- Asthma is not infectious. However, viral respiratory infections (such as common cold and the flu) can cause asthma attacks. Or In children, asthma is frequently associated with allergy, but asthma which starts adulthood is less often allergic.
- When asthma is well controlled, asthma subjects are able to exercise and even perform top sport.
- Asthma is most often controllable with low dose inhaled steroids
Messages, Quotes, and Wishes
- When you can’t breathe, nothing else in your life is important. This World Asthma Day help to create awareness about asthma so people can breathe easily.
- World Asthma Day is all about informing the people suffering from asthma to go slow. Breathe in and breathe out & stay calm.
- You don’t always need to achieve great things in life. Sometimes, breathing is a huge accomplishment too. Wish you a happy World Asthma Day.
- Asthma is a breath-taking experience literally. World Asthma Day is devoted to creating a more knowledge base and making this experience easier.
- On this World Asthma Day help, the world Initiative for Asthma spread their message everywhere that, “You can control your asthma easily.”
- A healthy heart is a must for a healthy body but requires healthy air. Let’s contribute to this World Asthma Day by making our surroundings clean air.
- On this World Asthma Day, let’s learn how to take one step at a time with your inhaler in hand to be able to fulfill your dreams & live life to the fullest.
- Any kinds of problem are never a stop sign but the motivation to learn from. Wish you a happy World Asthma Day.
- To build a better future for our next generation, it is important to leave a healthy environment. Let’s come together on this World Asthma Day to ensure a pollution-free atmosphere and surroundings.
- Make this World Asthma Day more meaningful for each one of us by safeguarding our loved ones from asthma.
- Every milestone on the way while struggling should be celebrated, even if it’s as small as breathing. Wish you a happy World Asthma Day.
- This World Asthma Day is all about reminding people of their duty to create a healthy and pollution-free environment for our loved ones to control Asthma.
- Keeping a normal check of Asthma can also help us to keep a check on various other diseases. Wish you a happy World Asthma Day.
- May you are able to breathe freely and live a long healthy and happy life. My Best wishes on World Asthma Day.
- Fresh Air is required by all living beings for survival and we must protect the air and thus protect the world from asthma. Happy World Asthma Day.
- On World Asthma Day let’s contribute along with the world Initiative for Asthma to improve asthma awareness and care all around the world.
- Support the people suffering from Asthma. Understand their problems and help to spread awareness. Happy World Asthma Day.
- Inhaling clean and pure air can help to save you from so many diseases. Let’s celebrate this World Asthma Day aspiring and working towards a cleaner and healthier green environment.
- World Asthma Day is one of the biggest events celebrated all over the world to increase awareness amongst the people about the precautions and preventions of asthma.
- Let us all vow to fight asthma together and become a more responsible human being this World Asthma Day.
Future World Asthma Days
- Tuesday, May 3, 2022
- Tuesday. May 2, 2023
- Tuesday, May 7, 2024
- Tuesday, May 6, 2025
- Tuesday, May 5, 2026