World Rivers Day is observed on the fourth Sunday of September to honor the earth’s waterway and highlight the importance of rivers as they face a horde of threats. This year the day arrives on 26th September 2021.
The active engagement of humans can prevent these threats and ensure the well-being of the rivers in the upcoming times.
The UN began the Water for Life Decade in 2005. The purpose was to help build a higher awareness of the necessity of bigger care worldwide for water resources. After this initiative, World Rivers Day was founded in reply to the plan by Mark Angelo, the globally famous river advocate.
Several river fans worldwide came united to host the first WRD event. That inaugural World Rivers Day was observed in 2005, and it set out to be a grand success.
In 2005, the day was celebrated across many nations. The WRD is celebrated every year on the 4th Sunday of September. Today, many million people in more than 70 countries observe the various values of waterways.
You can not ignore the influence of waterways. Rivers play a primary role in our lives as we will not be able to eat or drink without rivers (water).
The significance of rivers are:
- Rivers offer nutrients to regions throughout the earth. Rivers play a vital role in the water cycle, serving as drainage flows for surface water. It drains almost 75 percent of the planet’s land surface.
- Rivers offer food and shelter for several of the earth’s organisms.
- Also, various rare plants and trees grow by waterways. Ducks, otters, and beavers build their houses on the river banks. Plants like Reeds and bulrushes grow on the river banks.
- Some creatures utilize the river for drink and food. Birds like kingfishers feed small fish from the river. Mammals such as lions, antelopes, and elephants sip water from rivers. Bears grab fish from rivers.
- Rivers offer paths and travel routes for exploration, commerce, and recreation.
- Plains and valleys close to rivers provide fertile soils. Farmers in dry areas irrigate their crop region using water supplied by irrigation ditches from near watercourses.
- Rivers serve as an essential energy source. In the old industrial age, mills, factories, and shops were established near rivers from which people could utilize water to power machines. Today, steep rivers are used for hydroelectric power plants and their water turbines.
On this World Rivers Day, you can get connected with groups that admire Rivers Day. You can engage in a social event, such as a beach litter pick or rash clean. Get engaged in serving with teams to raise the quality of regional rivers by cleaning them.
- Engage in programs that concentrate on the wildlife that exists in the rivers.
- Celebrate the day by going canoeing, sailing, or kayaking.
- Conduct virtual events and discussions to build awareness to keep the rivers pure and support the regional wildlife to enjoy good habitats.
The list of Main Rivers of India.
1. Who initiated World Rivers Day?
The celebration of World Rivers Day was recommended by Mark Angelo, the globally famous river advocate. The proposal was accepted. The primary World Rivers Day was observed in 2005 and turned out to be a vast success.
The Seven main rivers in India are Brahmaputra, Indus, Narmada, Tapi, Krishna, Godavari, and Mahanadi, along with their various branches, form up the river system of India.