Do you know that nearly 1 in 10 of the world’s human beings is vegetarian, and India has the lowest per capita meat-eating globally? So get out the tofu, veggie burgers, cheese pizza, carrot sticks, and other meatless delights because it’s World Vegetarian Day!
On October 1, we observe the advantages of being a vegetarian and indicate that the meat-free lifestyle can really be awesomely pleasant.
The NAVS (North American Vegetarian Society) founded World Vegetarian Day in 1977 to help encourage the vegetarian lifestyle and teach people about the health and social advantages of performing a move to exclude meat from their menus.
As omnivores, people can survive in full health on a diet that includes no animal content or products of any type, but are there other advantages than simply a clean conscience?
As it sets out, the answer is a definite yes. Veg diets are more healthy than diets including animal meats, particularly when careful about your fat consumption. With a low-fat veg diet, you can fully avoid any concerns with cardiovascular disorder, the main cause of death in the US alone.
Not only do veg diets eliminate cholesterol and animal fat from their diets (particularly right for vegans), but they add more fiber and antioxidants, famously known for their capability to battle cancer!
So great is the impact of vegetarianism on our well-being it has statistically been revealed to add 13 healthful years to our life. Want more proof? Just look at Okinawa, where the humans with the largest lifespan worldwide live. Guess what their food mainly consists of?
Veg diets usually contain many of the great stuff you can’t regularly see in meat: magnesium, folic acid, fiber, unsaturated fat, vitamins C and E, and lots of phytochemicals. That turns into lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, decreased risk of heart disease, and better weight.
Meat-free diets get a poor blow for being mild and tasteless — but that’s not always right. You can turn almost any vegetable into tasty veggie-based pancakes. Pizza (without sausage) is still an excellent option. Ice cream is great to go. Who says veggies can’t have fun?
If that was not enough, going meat-free also provides many different advantages in terms of the environment.
Going meat-free not only protects animals — but also saves fossil fuel. For instance, it needs 80 cal of fossil fuel to churn out one cal beef! It is something that many souls don’t agree with.
For soybeans, just one calorie of fossil fuel is required for one calorie of soybeans. It signifies that it is 780 % more effective when compared to the making of meat.
1. Share the veggie wealth.
Take some veg food to share with your office or college friends. You don’t require any additional effort. Just buy a ready-made veggie dish. Everybody likes veggie trays, even the usual enthusiastic meat consumers. Also, if you are not veg, become one for a day.
2. Try the meat-free choice at a restaurant.
Today, take the chance to explore the veg offerings and go for meat-free eats. Are you the kind of person who skips up the menu’s veg portion without so much as a quick look? Who knows? Possibly it’ll be more pleasant than that chicken.
3. Shop at a farmer’s market
You can get some of the most delicious and freshest fruits and veggies at your regional farmer’s market. With fall in the air, you’re certain to get a distinct offering of meat-free meals to please any tongue or mood (including pumpkin!).
World Vegetarian Day Quotes
- Vegetarianism is harmless enough though it is apt to fill a man with wind and self-righteousness. – Robert Hutchison
- Vegetarian food leaves a deep impression on our nature. If the whole world adopts vegetarianism, it can change the destiny of humankind. – Albert Einstein
- When I work, I try to eat as much vegetarian as possible. When I do Cupid, I eat vegetarian because I need the energy. I’ve got those wings on my back. – Unknown
- With vegetarianism, you are well settled and know that your food habit isn’t getting someone killed and you are devouring the fresh things only. – Unknown
- Most vegetarians I ever see looked enough like their food to be classified as cannibals. – Finley Peter Dunne
- All that we could ever think of is hurting someone so much so that they will be killed and served. It happens daily on the dining table, stop the cruelty and be vegetarian. – Unknown
- As long as there are vegetarians on the face of Earth, the balance will be there and people will live longer as well as the animals. – Unknown
- I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. – Unknown
- Eating vegetarian doesn’t mean you have to eat boring, humdrum dishes. – Unknown
- We encourage more and more people to turn vegetarians without realizing who will feed them and what will we do with the growing population of animals. – Unknown